When I saw these pictures from @agirlcalled_lara on Instagram, I could relate to them 100%. As a JJC and a road user in the city of Lagos, I have to get acquainted with this slangs to survive in this City π€£π€£
I learned some the hard way though.
1. Wazo Wazo
This is often pronounced as 'Waso Waso'. I never knew it was Wazobia that was shortened till I ask Ope if 'Waso' was a place because I kept hearing bus conductors say something like 'Iyana ipaja waso wasoπ€£π€£ ' and she explained that it means 50 naira. Crazy right?
2. One Lucky Chance
You see this scam? I fell for it over and over again. You will hear 'Iyana ipaja one lucky chance, one chance one chance' and you'd be glad that you're the last person and the bus would soon move only to get to the bus and see that you're the first or if you're so lucky, the bus is half-filled. When I'm not in a hurry, I just sit pretty and press my phone. I can't comma die na.
3. Marry
I hate this with so much passion. In worst-case scenarios, you're forced to leave your change with your partner if you're late and there's no hope of getting change. Just a few days ago, I was married with one guy and bobo just stood and wasn't even making efforts to look for change. I was not late so me sef relax dey press phone and the money was with me, lool.
He later got change sha and broke the relationship.ππ€£
4. Owa
Getting 'akwai nan' off my lips and switching to 'Owa' wasn't funny. It took me 1 month to get Owa to sit on my lips perfectly. I actually prefer saying the name of my bust stop than saying Owa till I almost missed my bus stop one day (full gist coming soon). Lool
5. Kada Kada
It's pronounced as 'kadan kadan' but Lagosians say its 'Kada Kada'ππ€£ I'm tired of correcting my friends. For me, when I board a bike and the rider is a Hausa man, I feel at home and strike some conversation with my small Hausa. But I still tell him 'hankali hankali' because this life na one.
What new slangs did your new environment teach you? What old slang couldn't you do away with? How was adjusting in a new place like for you? Tell me in the comment section.
Friday, August 23, 2019
About Onisofe's Diary
Onisofe's Diary is a journal that talks about all of Onisofe's experiences. Read, Laugh, Smile and don't forget to leave a comment. Enjoy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





Wazo Wazo oo πππ
ReplyDeleteπ€£ππ€£
ReplyDeleteI just imagine you pronounced it the way the bus conductor usually do.
π€£ππ€£
Keep it up dear
ReplyDeleteThank you so much.
Delete