Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Lagos Masquerade Drama


The other day after work, Ope and I were walking down the road to board a tricycle heading towards the bus stop as Niyi was waiting for us so we could all go home together. Lost in gossips of all that went down at the office; I raised my head for a sec and I saw some scary looking masked people walking down to meet us.
I told Ope that I was going to scream and run because these masquerades had whips with them and they were walking directly towards us. She replied, "babes, don't scream, don't run, just act normal". How on earth can I act normal? I almost yelled out. This is the first time I am seeing a masquerade (or something close to a masquerade) in my 26 years of existence.

I was counting my breath and panting like someone who just finished a race. Suddenly, one of the masquerades came to meet me. Yes, he came to meet me with a whip and spoke something in Yoruba, I was shivering and couldn't say a word. Then Ope opened her bag and was looking for cash. She asked if I had money to spare but fear didn't allow me to respond.
She later found fifty naira and handed it over to the masquerade after which he left. It took me about 30 secs to catch my breath and recover from the horrifying scene that just played out in my front.
How can masquerades be seen parading the streets in broad daylight in a civilized city like Lagos? Wetyn person no go see for this Lagos? Abeg tell me sef πŸ˜‚πŸ€£.
Have you ever seen a masquerade? Please share your experience with me in the comment section. Stay refreshed. Don't forget to drink water and mind your business πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

4 comments:

  1. I stay in an area prone to masquerade. It's like a thing already. Just act normal around them and you'll be fine. They're humans in those clothing. Enjoy the view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. How do you feel seeing those masquerades every time? Mhen....I will try and get used to it.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen any before but then maybe I would have taken to my heels too at the sight of thm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahah, I think I’ve found a twin in you πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ€£

      Delete

Follow Me on All social Media Platforms @onisofee