Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Oga Driver Palava!


The squeaking sound of buses and rants of conductors shouting different locations brought me back to life as I was lost in thoughts of why I’m at the bus stop at 5 a.m. It's early Monday morning and as a tradition in Lagos, you have to be up early to beat Monday morning traffic if you have to be at the office in good time.
I was with Niyi and we've just resumed at our place of internship which isn't far from each other. After waiting for 30mins at the bus stop, we finally got a bus heading to Iyana Ipaja. The traffic was already building up slowly and with earplugs in my ears, I enjoyed the sound of Travis Greene 'Made a way'.
On a normal day in Kano, this distance shouldn't be more than 15mins but, hey, this is Lagos *smiles*. We didn't get to Iyana Ipaja till after 35mins. Got a bus heading to Yaba and it took another 20mins for the bus to get filled. *sighs*, Living in Lagos is not for the fainthearted.
The bus left the bus stop heading to Ikeja Along but the traffic ahead was something else. The driver decided to take Dopemu bypass to boycott the traffic and while we just got down the bridge, the shock absorber of the bus disconnected. It was already past 7 a.m.

Disappointed and sad, we all got down and asked the driver for a refund as we've not even gone far from the bus stop but he refused giving us the excuse that he had bought fuel and all that stories. He started making lots of calls and promised to get another vehicle for us. Fam, that was how this driver left us there for about an hour. He returned and decided to give us half the fare after wasting one hour of our time. At that point, I just wanted to disappear to Kano and leave all this Lagos bus drama.
The City of Lagos is filled with dramas. If you've not lived here, you should be glad. I got into the office an hour late and it took all the work on my desk to get the whole morning drama off my mind. I wish one can inspect these vehicles before boarding.

Have you ever been late to work because of Oga driver? Share your experience in the comment session.
I'd bring in more gist of all other crazy and beautiful experiences again. Until then, Stay safe, drink lots of water and mind your business.

6 comments:

Follow Me on All social Media Platforms @onisofee