Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Let's talk about Lagos Landlords, shall we?🤷‍♀️

Hey guys, 

Welcome to my YouTube Channel😂 Oh, sorry, I mean, welcome to today's episode of gbas gbos by Lagos Landlords 😉 

While I was still house hunting, I met different types of Lagos Landlords. I was just being welcome to the REAL adulthood and believe me, I became frustrated. You know, I don't know jack about house-hunting where I came from. 

Back in the days, my mum would just say "your father is looking for house, we will soon pack out of this area" and one-week later, there a big lorry outside packing our stuffs to a new apartment. But now I was saddled with the responsibility of searching for my own apartment in a 'strange land'.

Finding an apartment in Lagos is like making your way through the eyes of a needle. There are several hurdles you have to surmount when prospecting for a decent place to lay your head in Lagos. In fact there have been cases where renters had to pay for what they exactly don’t like because they were left with no other choice (story of my life).
First of, let me give you a list of questions Lagos Landlords will ask you before they accept your rent:

1. Are you married? 
They ask this questions for many reasons. Some of them believe that being married makes you responsible  hence why many single ladies claim to be married when house hunting. If you think your marital status has nothing to do with getting an apartment in Lagos, then you’re not ready to live in the city.

2. Where do you work?
They ask this question to know if you will be financially capable of paying the next rent😂 

3. What state are you from?
Lagos landlords ask this question to get insight based on their previous or current tenants. If he has had issues with someone from a particular tribe, it is most likely that he will not rent out to anybody from that tribe again.

4. Are you are Christian or Muslim?
I really don't know why they ask this question but it is what it is 😶

5. Why are you leaving your current apartment?
No, you are not applying for a job but Lagos landlords are worst than HRs😂🤣

After you pay your rent, Lagos landlords will leave you to the apartment for a space of 10-11 months before you will seeing them again (when your rent is almost due). It's your job to fix leaking roof, broken pipes, everything damaged before you rented the apartment and remember, you still paid money for damages in your rent o like 20-30K.

Hahaha, Lagos landlords will humble you sha. Have you had any experience? Kindly share in the comments section.

9 comments:

  1. hahahaa. Sugar mummy way, is this the duplex in Banana Island, you're referring to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way they are going, they will soon ask you to write an application letter of why you want to rent their house...imagine, they're asking me why I'm leaving my current house. Should I tell them I killed somebody and is on the run??🤣🤣

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol... not funny though but haven't witness such. God help us all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still living with my parents so I can't really relate but I'm sure getting an apartment in Lagos is one hell of a struggle

    ReplyDelete

Follow Me on All social Media Platforms @onisofee