Welcome to the first episode of my chronicles as a Northerner fresh, in Lagos.
Left Kano by road en route Lagos for
an interview on a Monday evening after a long day with a client and Thank God
Mercy forced me to eat lunch. It was a long 16-hour trip of about 1,136km. Chatters of 'Oshodi,
Oshodi' by bus conductors welcomed me to Lagos. I didn't get to see the most
talked-about ‘WELCOME TO LAGOS…shine your eyes’ billboard *sad face*. I've always looked forward to seeing that billboard because of the Shine your eyes part and all the stories I've heard about Lagos being the only State you're welcomed to with Shine your eyes.
While prepping for Lagos, my best
friend Itohan, told me, "babe, be careful o. You know all the stories we keep
hearing about the city that never sleeps. Be alert always. Especially your
phone, you that like pressing phone 24/7".
Getting to Ojota that morning, I was
greeted by Lagos morning traffic. I couldn't just wait to get done with my
interview and go back to base. My phone rings, K was calling (K is my friend
and would be hosting me)
K: Where are you now?
Me: The driver said we're at Ojota.
How do I get home?
K: Get a BRT heading to Oshodi, alight
at the bus stop. Take a bus heading towards Gbagada. Get down at Charley Boy
Bus stop. Call me when you're there.
Me: Can I just take a bike? I can't
deal with all this bus here and there.
K: This is Lagos. Bikes don't move on
the highway like the north. Except for the registered transport rides like ORide, Gokada and the rest.
Me: Ok then. I'll just use a taxi. I can see a
few around here. I'd be calling you at intervals, please keep your phone handy,
I don't want to miss my way ejor.
(Ends Call)
Phew 😞 This was the beginning
of how cabmen and conductors started cheating me in the City of Lagos.
Fast forward, I got home safely and
was asked how I got in without much calls for directions and I
explained that I boarded a Taxi. Not Uber or Taxify o, Lagos Taxi. I was
supposed to spend N400 to get home from Ojota. Your favorite Northern girl
spent N1800 with abeg. I could not just cry and I didn't lay a curse on the
cabman o🤣 I only blamed myself for being a JJC in the city of Lagos 😢
(JJC - abbreviated form for Jonny Just Come, this means a new visitor to a place who has absolutely no idea how things
are run in that place)
Until next week, I'd bring you more
gist about my chronicles in Lagos. Stay blessed.


Na real JJC you be.😁😁
ReplyDelete#1800 is too much na...Some dudes are obviously far from being born again. Even if you want to cheat someone, cheat with a good conscience.
Well, I'm glad you arrived safely.
And your phone wasn't stolen.
This entry is interesting.
As in eh, lool
DeleteI used 2 days to mourn my 1400 that i dashed the cab man.
Good conscience you say? There's nothing like that in this Lagos. Thank you so much for the feedback.
Great start! Uber would have charged around 2k too na! But no problem, you needed to feel the breeze oni!
ReplyDeleteIf only i knew *tears*
DeleteI felt the breeze real hard. hahaahah. Grateful for the experience. Thanks for the warm reply.
Dat is d shine ur eyes dey are telling u
ReplyDeleteI experienced it in another dimension, hahahhaha.
DeleteThanks for the warm reply.
Dat is d shine ur eyes dey are telling u
ReplyDeleteHahahhahaha, abi ooo
DeleteLagos gal wai no want do jjc but ended up paying more.
ReplyDeleteHahahahah... The experience is evergreen.
DeleteWaiting for d next writeup. Lol
ReplyDeleteAwwwwnnn. Thanks. The next story would be dropping next week Thursday (22nd Aug) by 12pm.
DeleteLol... I'd be forever scared of that city.
ReplyDeleteYour fears are relate-able. Lool
DeleteHehehehe...I think say na 5k dey go charge you first. Abeg on next episode, elaborate on how you dey beg beg them make dem for carry you for that amount.
ReplyDeleteIf I have to elaborate, you'd so laugh eh.
DeleteI was like 'Baba please, I'm like a daughter to you, I only have 2K and I need to buy card to call my cousin, Please carry me for 1800'..
Hah. He even replied that 'I just dey do this thing because you resemble my pickin'hahahhahah
Please don't laugh.
I couldn't wait to read the story before I started laughing...the pressing phone part got me, I'm sure you hid it very well to avoid stiry...lol, we are sha waiting for episode 2
ReplyDeleteAwwwwwwnnn, So you were laughing in advance, LOL.
DeleteI act like i don't have a SmartPhone in this Lagos. Once I'm in a public place, my phone goes into my bag and my hands are firmly holding the bag.. Lool.
Episode 2 coming soon....Thanks for the reply.
Na real JJC you be
ReplyDeleteYou can say that again bayi.Lool
DeleteThis pain of this cheat is worse than losing a job walahi.... Kaiii... Well thank goodness your phone os intact.
ReplyDeleteI still feel the pain each time I think about it.
DeleteJJC ��...it happens when one gets to a new place
ReplyDeleteabeg next episode
Abii oo.Lool. Why do I feel you're laughing hysterically?
DeleteNext Episode will be on the blog by Thursday... Yaaaa *excited*