I normally say
'Lagos is not for the faint-hearted' and that's because the hustle and bustle
of Lagos can be overwhelming at times, did I say at times?? Ejor, it's 'most
times'. It takes 101% patience to live and survive in this City.
The other day, Ope and I were on our way to work, we got into a bus
heading to Yaba from Iyana-Ipaja and began our gists and stories. About 20
minutes into the journey (haha, it's actually a journey because of traffic) the bus just stopped abruptly, This was the third time in the week that the buses
we took to work kept getting faulty in the middle of the journey, so I thought
it was one of those normal drills; check the engine, screw and unscrew one or
two things and put water into that small jerry can like thing in the bonnet and
we can continue our journey.
We got down from the bus and the driver pretended to check the engine and then told us plainly that we need to
get another bus to continue our journey if we don't want to be late for work.
Alaye just laidat!!!! ๐ข
We were running late and the traffic
wasn't it at all and the driver refused to give us our full fare. Oga stopped a
BRT bus for us and asked us all to get in while he negotiated the price with
the BRT Conductor. On getting in, we found out all the seats were taken and we
had to stand from Ikeja to Yaba. LOL. I told Ope that I couldn't stand o, how
can I stand in a moving bus? She laughed and reminded me that This is Lagos.
I've always thought to myself that
standing in a moving vehicle is weird. I see people packed up like sardines in
a moving BRT and I say a silent prayer that nothing will get me to that point
where I will have no other option than to stand but here I am today, Standing
tall and elegant, LOL.
Nobody got down from the BRT till we
were halfway to Yaba. After targeting the person that intended to drop, I
rushed to be the first to get his seat, I was the Usain Bolt of BRT, I even had
to lap Ope as we proceeded (what we do for friendship)๐
I still remember the pains I felt
after we got down from the BRT. I felt like giving out my thighs for a some pieces of Bole. I didn't want it again because Ope sucked out all the life from my laps
plus all the long minutes of standing. My standing experience on the BRT wasn't
sweet at all but my fear is that it will still happen again, I haven't prayed
to be more wrong in all my life.
Do you have a not-so-good BRT or Bus experience you'd like to share? Tell me in the comment section.


Lagos is one hell of a state, more reason I prefer staying with my grandparents in Ilorin to living with my parents in Lagos. I was forced to relocate to Lagos by my mum after I was posted to Kigi state by NYSC, I swear serving in Lagos was terrible for me especially as a teacher in a secondary school. Melo lara mi? Work from 7:30 to 4pm when my friends in another state didn't go to their PPA at all. I would nearly cry at times especially when my friend in Kogi told me she was serving in a restaurant. Issit traffic, long hours journey, transport fare. My worst nightmare was going to Agege from Agbado Ijaiye for CDS. Gosh! Lagos no make sense in this aspect at all but I have no choice, I'm still going back to Lagos soon Gods willing.
ReplyDeleteAwesome story! You're amazing!
In case you're wondering who's this, this is your client @superbglow
Awwwww ๐ฅฐ๐ฅฐ๐ฅฐIt’s so sweet to get a comment from you ma’am.
DeleteLagos is one hell of a city. This morning, I got to the office at 12noon. No, I didn’t over sleep. I got to iyana ipaja 7am and spent 3hrs from there to Ikeja.
Let’s not talk about the hike in transportation because of the traffic. And all these affects ones productivity at work at the end of the day.
Surviving in Lagos is for the fittest, truly.!
All is well sha, last last we go make am
ReplyDeleteAmen oo
DeleteNa our everyday prayer bdat ๐